[access-uk] Re: Olympus DS-50 Voice Recorder / MP3 player

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 10:28:17 -0000

Though I'm tacking my message onto what Sandra has said, I'm aware of Steve
Nutt's later comments too.

I wouldn'gt regard the Olypus DS50 as a 'pro' machine either, but that isn't to
denegrate what it does.  (In fact an argument could be had as to how 'pro' the
R09 is, but I see no point in arguing about that.)

People considering buying itshould, INHO, regard it as a
conference/meeting/dictation machine which is entirely automatic record level
wise, and also happens to have a fair measure of accessability which no
mainstream competitor has at all.

One situation I would like to hear it used in is interviews.  It may well be
that a good many who don't want to become 'techies' in any sense will want a
relatively straight forward machine to take around with them which gets the job
done well enough for say local talking newspapers or the odd Podcast.  (No, I'm
not suggesting Podcasting is it's main use, but given a sound editor that can
import WMA files then that would be an obvious use for it.)  As it is, with
Studio Recorder at least, it seems that an intermediary conversion program would
be necessary.

Seems that Olypus might consider MP3 recording as an option if they are
encouraged sufficiently by sales of the DS50 and its cheaper siblings.  I'd also
add that, anyone considering reviewing any recorder for portable use might give
us some idea of it's use in interview situations.  I'm always conscious of how
much blind people have been denied effective employment opportunities in audio
related work which is why I am interested in such a use for this machine, as
well as other recorders, both more and less accessable than the DS50.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx