[access-uk] OfficeConvert and EasyEncode - free, open sourceutilities for common file conversions

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, avios@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, NTExpress@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Best-Circle-Of-friends@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 18:07:44 +0100

Greetings,

I cannot remember seeing this on any of the groups to which I am posting, if
it has been circulated, I am sorry for the duplicatin.

I would be interested if anybody has found this useful, or any problems and
if so, what the author provided as a solution.

From: Jamal Mazrui [mailto:empower@xxxxxxxxx]

Now available at

http://EmpowermentZone.com/OfficeConvert.zip

and

http://EmpowermentZone.com/EasyEncode.zip

OfficeConvert and EasyEncode are two sets of free, open source utilities
under Windows I have recently developed for conveniently converting
files among common formats and encodings.  They can aid the production of
alternative formats in order to maximize accessibility for readers with
disabilities.  Batch processing is possible, allowing multiple files to be
converted with a single command.

These command-line utilities are stand-alone executables, operating in
console mode, without a graphical user interface (GUI).  They are
distributed as zip archives rather than Windows installers.  Programming
knowledge is not required to use them, but basic familiarity with the
Windows command prompt is needed.  The utilities may be used either
manually at the command line, or programmatically by applications that
call them to prepare files in a chain of processing steps.

OfficeConvert is a set of utilities for converting file formats using the
COM-based APIs of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel,
and Powerpoint.  Many file formats are supported.  Common file extensions
may be used to specify the formats desired.  Conversions include going to
and from formats used by other office suites, such as the Open Document
formats supported by the cross-platform, Open Office suite.

Significant capabilities include conversions to plain text:  doc2txt,
xls2txt, and ppt2txt.  The conversion of a PowerPoint presentation
extracts text comprehensively, including the outline, notes, comments, and
hyperlinks.  Formats of Office 2007 and above are supported.  The doc2pdf
conversion can be an effective way of creating an accessible, tagged PDF
from a well-structured Word document.

EasyEncode is a set of utilities for detecting and converting text files
among common encodings.  Four encodings are supported, accounting for most
encodings in use today:  UTF-16, UTF-8 with a byte order mark (BOM), UTF-8
without a BOM, and ANSI.  The utilities can smoothen the transition of
text files from one operating system to another, where an inconsistent
encoding can render a file unreadable.

Character encodings are a complex subject.  EasyEncode does not eliminate
a developer's need for knowledge in this area, but once encodings are
understood conceptually, the software eases work with them.

The OfficeConvert documentation is also separately available online at

http://EmpowermentZone.com/OfficeConvert.htm

and the EasyEncode documentation is available at

http://EmpowermentZone.com/EasyEncode.htm

Jamal

Colin Howard, living near Southampton in Southern
England.