[access-uk] Re: Obsolete Accessibility

  • From: "brian andrews" <brianhandrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:44:17 +0100

THANKSTry  being a non Brail reader.

Brian from Essex
-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Ian Macrae
Sent: 06 July 2005 21:25
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Obsolete Accessibility

And, Iain, like some of the truly brilliant things designed or created for
blind people, it was an ingeniously simple device and concept.  When the one
I borrowed arrived at home last Saturday I showed it to my sighted eight
year old and went through the positions of the lead type used to create the
numbers.  Within five minutes she'd brought the board to me a          nd
said "I've done a sum".  She had too.  8 plus 8 equals 16.  Also, young
Damon who'd never previously encountered one picked it up almost as quickly
prior to recording yesterday's show.  And you're right.  for discovering
basic arithmetical operations, it couldn't be beat.  I'm sure I was never as
good at maths once we moved over to doing our working on a Perkins.

Cheers now.

Ian