  From: Ian Macrae
  To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:25 PM
  Subject: [access-uk] Re: Obsolete Accessibility

  And, Iain, like some of the truly brilliant things designed or created for
blind people, it was an ingeniously simple device and concept.  When the one I
borrowed arrived at home last Saturday I showed it to my sighted eight year old
and went through the positions of the lead type used to create the numbers.
Within five minutes she'd brought the board to me and said "I've done a sum".
She had too.  8 plus 8 equals 16.  Also, young Damon who'd never previously
encountered one picked it up almost as quickly prior to recording yesterday's
show.  And you're right.  for discovering basic arithmetical operations, it
couldn't be beat.  I'm sure I was never as good at maths once we moved over to
doing our working on a Perkins.

  Cheers now.

  Ian