[access-uk] OT Computer locks up when loading windows live

  • From: "Vanja Sudar" <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 23:09:57 +0100

Hello,

I know that this is not strictly access technology related, so  people are
welcome to answer off list to prevent unnecessary off topic list traffic if
people so wish.

This problem has been happening for quite a while, but I was too lazy to do
much about it and just ignored it, but it is getting quite frustrating. Very
often when windows live is loaded, it totally locks up computer. Absolutely
nothing can be done. I even had it confirmed by sighted people that no keyboard
presses or mouse clicks do nothing at all. Even task manager can't be opened.
The only way that the computer can be shut down is by using power button.
Sometimes it takes 4/5 restarts till it loads and doesn't crash. I'm 99 %
certain that windows live is guilty for this because whenever I boot without
wlm starting up, the computer starts up absolutely fine. This also happens if I
sign out and then sign in again, more reasons to believe that it is windows
live messenger. So I don't even have to close the client, just sign out and
sign back in and often the computer will totally lock up. I'm running windows
live messenger Version 2008 (Build 8.5.1302.1018). I don't know if there is a
newer version or if  that would help. I researched this in Microsoft knowledge
base and Google, but couldn't find anything relevant.

I recall a while ago someone had a similar problem and have been told to
upgrade to the latest versions of the flash player, but I do have the latest
flash player version  (10.0.12.36, so that's not the problem. Please don't
message telling me to use an alternative like Miranda because that is not
something I want to do. So, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would
be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Vanja
http://www.sudar.co.uk