[access-uk] Re: Notetakers again

I would warn against Pocket hal and Braille, or at least, I would say I have
witnessed difficulties.

A colleague of mine used Pocket Hal with a Brailliant Braille display,
possibly 24 cell but can't be sure of that, either way the drivers should be
the same no matter what the number of cells.  in his case the Braille does
not wrap to the next line if the word on the end of one line does not fit.
Instead, part of the word is on the end of the line with the remainder of
the word being on the beginning of the next line.  Also the cursor routing
buttons do not work at all.

Now it may be of course that this problem only happens with the Brailliant
displays but if these limitations apply to pocket hal with any display then
the most diplomatic thing to say is that Braille support in the current
version of pocket hal is in its infancy.

I know other programs exist for use with PDAs but battery life tends to be
short as it is with most PDas as battery technologies have not kept up with
the hardware needs of the product.  Also it is necessary to link the Braille
display to the PDA with bluetooth and then rememver to charge two devices.
all this is a hassle.

I do understand that Braillenote can be used with different languages.  If
all you want is a note taker then this could be a good option.  Braillenotes
with QWERTY keyboards and Braille keyboards exist though some may find the
QWERTY keyboard and interface somewhat odd.  The keyboard is a little
cramped and the QWERTY keyboard interface is not that similar to Windows and
it always seems to me that Braillenote works more effectively with a Braille
keyboard as well as a Braille display.

Finally there is the Braille Sense.  I understand that the Voice Sense, a
note taker without a Braille display has or soon will be available and I
have heard good things of it.  I do not know about language support or
whether a version with a Braille display is available.

Regards

Graham
Graham Page
Home Phone: 0207 265 9493