[access-uk] Re: Note Takers

  • From: "yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:49:29 +0100

Hi Steve, Can't comment on the Braille Sense or Braille Note as I haven't used either. However I have used the Pac Mate with a 20 braille display.

Were you planning on using the braille input version or the quirty? I have had difficulties with braille translation when writing documents on the Pacmate, editing them on the PC and editing again on the Pacmate. Also line breaks have often disappeared either during translation from grade 2 on the Pacmate to pocket word format, or during the actual transfer between computer and PC. Of course this wouldn't be a problem if you used a quirty version.

The Braille display is designed to be detachable on the pacmate, however I have known the pacmate to do a hard reset when you reconnect them together. If your at home when this happens with plenty of time to do a full restore from Sprite its not so bad but it might be a problem if your out.

Oh I've made it sound dreadful. It isn't by any means, theres a lot of programs that you can use with the Pacmate, its very convenient for note taking and its battery lasts longer than a laptop. But I have to be honest and say I haven't used it since I got a new laptop last June which is partly because my own circumstances have changed, I haven't needed to take notes in libraries but I have had to do scanning which the pacmate can't do.

Just to add to your selection have you considered a pocket PC with a screenreader and external keyboard? The battery wouldn't be as good though. I haven't suggested Maestro because you said you wanted to connect a braille Display and it doesn't support braille displays.
Has that helped or just confused.
Yusuf
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Dryden" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>