[access-uk] Re: Norton

  • From: "Ali" <alpot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:16:28 +0100

Thanks Darren,

Thank you.

--------------------

Ali
-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Darren Brewer
Sent: 23 October 2005 18:50
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Norton

Hi Ali

I asked the very same question last week and pasted below are the
instructions mark Matthews kindly forwarded me.

It does indeed remove Norton as I have now got sygate and AVG running
instead. However I checked the registry afterfollowing the instructions and
there are still numerous references to Symantec, but I think they are best
left as they don't seem to be doing any harm. The other thing is when you go
to add/remove programs there are 3 entries. First of all you need to remove
Norton Internet security, then after rebooting go to add/remove again and
remove Norton WMI. It will then also remove the entry for Norton live
update.

Here's the instructions. Hope it works ok. Darren.

1. GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL. IN WINDOWS98, WINDOWS ME, WINDOWS2000
START..SETTINGS CONTROL PANEL. IN WINDOWSXP, START..CONTROL PANEL. ON THE
TOP OF THE PANEL FIND ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. DOUBLE CLICK ON THE ICON. GO DOWN
THE LIST OF CURRENT PROGRAMS. FIND SYMANTEC PRODUCT THAT YOU WISH TO REMOVE,
THEN CLICK REMOVE.
AFTER THE PROGRAM IS REMOVED YOU MIGHT HAVE TO REBOOT THE COMPUTER.

2. UPON REBOOT OF THE COMPUTER, YOU WILL HAVE TO DO A MANUAL

UNINSTALL

OF ALL NORTON/SYMANTEC FOLDERS. THIS WILL BE IN TWO PARTS.

FIRST STEP:

HIT START, THEN FIND ALL FILES OR FOLDERS. TYPE THIS "SYMANTEC" AND

THEN

HIT ENTER. YOU MIGHT FIND THE FOLLOWING FOLDERS REMAIN:

SYMANTEC C: DOCUMENTS

SYMANTEC C: PROGRAM FILES

SYMANTEC C: SHARED PROGRAM FILES

NOW, "RIGHT CLICK ON EACH SET OF THOSE FILES", GO DOWN TO WHERE IT

SAYS

"DELETE", CLICK OK. THIS SENDS THE FILES TO THE RECYCLE BIN. YOU

MIGHT

FIND THAT THE DOCUMENTS AND PROGRAM FILES CANNOT BE DELETED BECAUSE THEY ARE
IN USE. IN THAT CASE, DELETE THE SHARED FILES FIRST, THEN

GO BACK

AND REMOVE THE OTHERS.

AFTER REMOVING, GO TO THE RECYCLE BIN AND EMPTY IT.

SECOND STEP:

THE REGISTRY MUST BE CLEARED OF ALL PROGRAMS THAT CONTAIN SYMANTEC. WE WANT
ALL MEMBERS TO BE SURE THEY UNDERSTAND THAT REGISTRY ENTRIES ARE CRITICAL TO
THE COMPUTER. IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE IT COULD RENDER

THE

COMPUTER INOPERABLE! PLEASE PRINT OUT THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM. IF
YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK ONE OF OUR OWNERS/MODERATORS BEFORE YOU
ATTEMPT THIS STEP.

REGISTRY REMOVAL PROCESS...

GO TO START...THEN "RUN". WHEN THE BOX OPENS, TYPE THE FOLLOWING IN

THE

EMPTY BOX IN ONE SENTENCE.... "REGEDIT" (THIS STANDS FOR REGISTRY

EDITOR FOR MICROSOFT), THEN CLICK OK.

NOW YOU WILL SEE THE MICROSOFT REGISTRY KEYS. REGISTRY KEYS CONTROL
EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC. YOU MUST BE SURE TO OPEN AND USE ONLY THE KEYS THAT
WE TELL YOU TO OPEN AT THIS TIME. DO NOT OPEN ANY OTHER KEYS.

THE REGISTRY LIST WILL LOOK LIKE THIS AFTER YOU OPEN IT:

(+) MY COMPUTER

(+)H-KEY_CLASSES_ROOT

(+)H_KEY_CURRENT_USER

(+)H_KEY LOCAL MACHINE

FIND THE KEY CALLED "H KEY LOCAL MACHINE" THIS IS THE KEY YOU NEED.

OPEN THE FOLDERS UNDER IT USE THE MOUSE AND CLICK THE (+) NEXT TO THE H_KEY
lOCAL MACHINE. IT WILL OPEN THE FOLLOWING:

(+)HARDWARE

(+)SAM

(+)SECURITY

(+)SOFTWARE

NOW CLICK ON THE "SOFTWARE" PLUS (+) NEXT TO IT WHICH OPENS ALL THE SOFTWARE
LOADED ON YOUR PC. LOOK DOWN THE LIST ALPHABETICALLY UNTIL YOU FIND
"SYMANEC"

THE FOLDERS YOU WILL FIND IF YOU OPENED THE PLUS (+) SIGN NEXT TO THE
SYMANTEC NAME WOULD BE: SYMANEC CCPD SYMANTEC CCPD-LC SYMANTEC LIVE
SUBSCRIBE

THESE ARE ALL CONTAINED IN ONE KEY. THE NAME OF THE KEY IS "SYMANTEC". FIND
THAT KEY, NOW CAREFULLY RIGHT CLICK ON THE KEY AND CHOOSE DELETE. MAKE SURE
YOU HAVE CHOSEN "SYMANTEC" KEY NOT ANOTHER PROGRAM ABOVE OR BELOW. THEN
CLICK OK. NOW YOU ARE DONE, GO TO THE TOP OF THE FOLDER WITH YOUR MOUSE AND

CLICK "FILE" THEN "EXIT", THIS WILL COMPLETE THE PROCESS OF REMOVAL.