[access-uk] Re: Next Generation Perkins Brailler, no kidding!

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:07:47 +0100

Jackie,

Well done on your achievement! Hmmm! That advanced exam sounds nothing like they used to be ...

Keep up that good work!

--
Carol
carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jackie Cairns wrote:
Hi Dave

I had to do my papers on a Perkins mate, it was the whole object of
the exercise.  And there was no way I was going to undertake it on
anything other than my own machine.  Paper one was a comprehension
piece that required answering seven questions.  Paper two was split
into three sections: a piece of straightforward text, maths, and an
advertisement containing websites or Email addresses, phone numbers
and postcodes.  And paper three was choosing from three or so topics
to write freely about, subject to a given number of lines and
characters.  I was the only blind person there doing the exam, the
rest could all see.  I had to go into a room with the invigilator on
my own because the second paper with the three sections had to be
done from audio to Braille, where my sighted counterparts did it from
print to Braille.

I'm just glad it's over and that I passed!

Jackie Cairns
Braille Support Adviser
Email: Jackie.Cairns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sight and Sound Technology