[access-uk] Re: Netbooks

  • From: "G. McFarlane" <gmcf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 02:20:00 -0000

Hi Trace
My memory (not the computer's) is poor here but I'm fairly certain that the
computer memory is the same -1gb of ram memory. The main difference is the
storage memory - yes, the Samsung netbook has 160gb or so of hard disk space,
whereas the Dell comes with the new solid state storage memory, either 8gb or
16gb. The idea is that most people's programs are able to exist on under 8gb of
storage space and you use external hard disks, flash cards orUSB keys to keep
the data on. The good thing is that with solid state there are no moving parts,
as with a hard disk and of course it then probably uses less batteries and is
pretty well silent.
As I said in my earlier post it depends on what someone wants out of the
Netbook - I wanted the smallest size and weight, others may wish storage and a
larger screen. The keyboard is a bit cramped but perfectly workable after a few
minutes if you're a touch typist.
It certainly appears to work well with Jaws and so far I can find nothing wrong
with it.
In my last post I think I said it had a 3 cell battery - it appears to have a 4
cell one. There must be some trade off against the Samsung's 6 cell battery,
because the Dell has no Hard Disk to power.
Concerning your last question - I don't know about UMPC - I think it's just
terminology - they both seem to be classed overall as Netbooks.
Gordon