[access-uk] Re: Need a link please

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:01:38 +0100

Hi there,

Facebook's home page is at

http://www.facebook.com

In my experience, it's not that easy to do, though I think some people have
signed up using the mobile version ...  (Well, that's what I was led to
believe, but help for me wasn't forthcoming there.)

In any case, for me, it was a matter of first preparing for this and it's
really a bit of a sledge hammer to crack a nut!  You may not realise this, so
I'll give you a bit more detail here.

First I needed to download Firefox.  If you don't use it already, go here:

http://www.mozilla.com/

You'll find it's very much like IE in the way you can use it, except that some
commands are changed and, in my view, it's not quite so good.  Pages also
appear less spaced out when using Jaws which (when full with links etc) can
feel a bit cluttered.

Anyway, once you have Firefox installed, you need a plug-in.  You get this by
going to

http://www.webvisum.com/

Use Firefox when you get this plug-in and it will be automatically installed
for you.  You need the Webvisum plug-in so that the visual captcha you get,
once you've entered your details can be understood by Jaws.  Otherwise you need
sighted help to get you signed up.  Webvisum only works with Firefox, so when
you sign up for Facebook you need to use Firefox and not IE.  Also, the captcha
isn't always read correctly the first time so you may have to try signing up a
few times before you get there.

I got there eventually, but it took a number of attempts and a lot of
frustration over a couple of weeks, as I wasn't aware of that fact when I was
trying to sign up.

Anyway, I've now been using Facebook for a couple of weeks and am getting round
OK.

Hope that helps a bit.

--
Carol