[access-uk] Re: Need UPS recomendation

  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:44:42 +0100

Hi,

I don't wish to go over 1000VA.  I am quite happy with 5 minutes on
battery power.  The switch is probably one of the drainers - it is an
old 24 port switch I picked up at a computer fair with 2 internal fans!
Other than that the other stuff is all low voltage except for the two
servers, one of which can manage without UPS protection.

At present I have the following in the server cupboard:

- 2 servers
- DSL router
- Firewall
- 24 port switch
- Wireless access point (108 mbps)
- Cheap NAS drive which I use for backups

As I said I really only want the backup for the main server, the other
server is not critical.  The other devices can just be powered off
(unfortunately the NAS doesn't support UPS which is annoying).

At present this all runs through a Belkin 8 way surge protector, and we
have lost data recently due to the storms overhead - we had a nasty
power issue around a month ago which damaged one of the drives in the
main server, I am getting a new server since a friend is giving me a
huge discount on one with mirrored drives etc.

Thanks.
Andrew.