[access-uk] Re: Music files

  • From: "Kevin Lloyd" <kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 19:40:49 -0000

Hi Andy.

It's absolutely true that lossless formats will produce a better quality
music file than MP3.  MP3 is a lossy format and so throws away some of the
music to compress the file right down to the smallest size possible.
Lossless formats such as WMA lossless and FLAC will produce a much larger
file than MP3 because they do not throw away any of the musical content.
An MP3 file can be encoded at a maximum bit rate of 320 kbps whereas a
lossless format will encode the same file at around 900 to 1000 kbps so it's
likely to be 3 times larger than the equivalent MP3.  The lossless file will
be smaller than the equivalent uncompressed WAV file which is typically
encoded around the 1300 kbps mark but will certainly not be smaller than
lossy formats such as MP3, OGG and the like.

Regards.

Kevin
E-mail: kevin.lloyd3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx