[access-uk] Multi Scanner

  • From: "Barbara Wilson" <barkingbabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:45:00 +0100

Got a Nokia E71 on the Vodafone network. Not sure if this app is specific to
the phone or network. Wondered if anyone had seen or used it? And if so, what's
it all about?

In Instalations there is an application called Multi Scanner. Once opened there
are two options, Text Reader or Card Reader. Whichever you are in, if you press
Select a photograph is taken. I presume it takes a photo to recognise text. I
can't say what is displayed on the screen, but if you put a piece of paper with
some text in the view of the camera lense and take a photo, TALKS just reads a
load of random letters, numbers and symbols. I haven't asked anyone sighted
yet, but I don't know if this is because these are the characters displayed on
the screen, or if it's just how TALKS interprets them. Perhaps this is a text
recognition rather like the KNFB Reader but does not work with TALKS.

Would be greatful for any feedback. Nowhere is it mentioned in the E71 manual,
that makes me think it is a Vodafone app.

Barbara Wilson
M: 07917710779
T: 02887784046
E: barkingbabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx