[access-uk] Re: More Sight Village and In touch

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:19:30 +0100

on this subject, I am quite into System Access and freedom box as the user
is kept somewhere near the idea of a screenreader which means that growing
into a screenreader should be quite easy.  To be honest, the product
contains a pretty useful screenreader anyway for general tasks that many
home users would want.

I personally would never recommend guide unless it has changed radically
from a year ago.  I am a little uncomfortable with giving someone a
radically different computer experience just because they are blind.  What
if something goes wrong?  no one, apart from the supplier is likely to have
a clue about how to get such a closed system up and working.  Far better to
use products already provided or available and start off by training a user
very clearly in terms of what the user needs to know.

I can imagine however that this has been quite a debate withinn BCAB.

Cheers

Graham
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of George Bell

Hi Ray,

An interesting choice of words, "relevant to death-blind".
(Smile)

Speaking as a dealer, I am encouraged by how many elderly
people are actually venturing into the hi-tech world.  For
many, it may be basic to you and me, but even a digital
recorder counts.

But picture your own self now.  Will you hang up your
keyboard when you collect your first pension book?

George.

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf

The facts and statistics are all available in an HMSO
Publication.

George.