[access-uk] Re: Mobile broadband and Pacmate

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:25:22 -0000

Hi Steve,

I've taken a look at the site and it looks impressive. I can't find mention of the cost though. Can you remember, please?

As always, I have other questions.  Please help me if you can.

How long does it take to download? (I'm on PAYG currently, hence the question.)

For those uninitiated, what's "the data access point from your carrier" that you have to configure; so what do you need to know?

Someone said it would work with Pacmate and BrailleNote. Has anyone tried it with the latter? The reason I'm asking is that the BN currently works under Wireless "B", or a mixed mode setting, so I'm wondering if this really will work.

There are some comments in the FAQ section about various LED's indicating connections. Is it still possible for us to see easily if a client is still connected and to ensure we disconnect properly?

Finally, I think I read somewhere that it's an open connection and doesn't even have WEP. Is this not open to abuse by others, or is the wireless range too short so that it's not really a problem?

I'm sorry about all the questions, but these things sometimes sound so easy and then I find I really don't know enough to get started ... so want to get prepared first.

Thanks for any help.

--
Carol
carol.pearson29@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:04 PM (UK time), Steve Nutt at steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:

:: Hi Jackie, and Ali of course,
::
:: If you go to http://www.walkinghotspot.com, and buy Walking Hotspot
:: for your phone, you can turn your phone into a wireless router.
:: Then the Pacmate will work with mobile broadband.
::
:: All the best
::
:: Steve