[access-uk] Re: Mesh computers

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 17:09:14 +0100

"but wouldn't it make sense to have their technical support line situated in
this country! [smile] It's sound business practise to keep your customers happy
and contented. "
Oh, I don't have any argument with you there actually, my observation was
somewhat more general in the sense that most businesses do and almost certainly
are compelled to look in the short term numbers.  In ther longer term it may
become obvious that certain business functions in certain niches cannot be
relocated.

I suspect that what might seem obvious to a customer or user is not so easily
quantifiable as is the issue of product returns and repairs.  Some companies of
course do manage to work this out and are the ones that come top of the surveys
or are still in business.  It is true that within any given product segment you
get a bad run despite best efforts, sometimes it is due to sheer incompetance,
but more often these days it is the sheer pace of product cycles that mean
there just isn't the time.  Computer products in particular are caught in a
sharp pincer movement between increasing demands for speed and capacity with
tighter and tighter tolerances result verses the requirement for speedier and
cheaper development cycles.  Google's recent study of hard drive failures (you
can imagine they use a lot of them) is an interesting clue as to how the
economics of things effect product reliability.  I remember also somewhere
towards the end of the eighties one of the electronic industry bodies members
(I don't remember which now)  decided to vote down a measure to extend the
expected lifetime for consumer electronic products from 12 to 18 months.  That
is the time for which such theings are expected to operate guarunteed free of
failure.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology