[access-uk] MSI Wind U100 netbook

  • From: "Clive Pallett" <clive.pallett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:56:10 -0000

Hello everyone,

Does anyone on the list have an MSI Wind U100 netbook? I ask this as my wife is letting me have one for an early birthday present and it is being delivered tomorrow. Argos are doing a great deal at the moment, £70 off the original price, now £199.99 until 24 December. Here are the specs for the machine I have chosen.

Intel Atom N270 processor.
1.6GHz processor speed.
512MB cache.
1GB DDR2 RAM.
160GB SATA hard drive.
10in screen size.
Resolution 1024 x 600 pixels.
UMA graphics.
1 Ethernet port.
Wireless/Wi-Fi enabled - b/g.
3 x USB ports.
Media card reader.
Bluetooth.
Integrated 1.3MP webcam.
Windows XP Home operating system installed.
3.5 hours battery life.
Size (H)3, (W)26, (D)18.cm.
Weight 1.1kg

I plan to install NVDA as my screen reader as I have had no trouble since using it on our desktop PC.

I have been reading up on netbooks and understand they come with proprietary software and trial versions of other programs. What should I expect to find on the MSI Wind? Any advice and tips most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Clive Pallett

07:36:00