[access-uk] Re: MP3'S FROM PLAY.COM

Hi Gordon

 WAV is uncompressed - exact replica of the original quality  - very big
file size.

All the lossless formats are compressed but when played the audio is
restored to an exact replica of the original quality (like WAV).
FLAC, apple lossless, WMA lossless do it in a different ways but the result
is very much the same about half of the original wav file size so saves a
lot of space compared to WAV without sacrificing any quality - they all do
the same in the sense that quality is exact replica of the original.

  FLAC is the most popular but support is not wide spread yet - you need
plugin for the various players.
Lossless is good for archiving as you don't loose quality and you can
convert between one lossless to another without sacrificing anything so it
was adopted widely by various broadcasters.

Converting from lossless to lossy is fine - the lossy looses something but
with high bps the loss will be minimal - it is exactly like ripping an
original CD.

Only specialized stored support lossless at present - because lack of
support by players out of the box for a common standard and because the file
size is larger than lossy formats - larger downloads.

For practical reasons and maximum compatibility I would stick at present
(and purchase) with MP3 the file size may be a bit larger than Aac, WMA and
OGG for the same quality but with todays low cost of storage most people
would not care.

AAC (which is a second generation format like WMA and OGG) by the way is not
an Apple format it is an international standard part of the MPEG-3 and
MPEG-4 specifications.  It may well be that now that Apple removed the DRM
(which was not part of the international spec) more players will support it
out of the box; time will tell.

The future for the stores I think, will be lossless but this will take some
time not least because of the commercial interests involved; WMP and iTunes
player wants to support their own lossless format but unlike lossy formats
you can convert between these without any loss of quality.

Regards
Isaac