[access-uk] Re: Jaws V 8.0

  • From: "Vanja Sudar" <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 03:03:44 -0000

I baisically agree with you, although considering the vista is coming they
really should do something about it. I do agree though that there isn't many
new features that make me excited about this new jaws, at the same time jaws
has done great job for me since I used it back in 97. I admit that lately in
new versions of jaws there are not that many new significant features,
having said that jaws does what I need it to do. As much as certain things
about it annoy me, they're not enough for me to want to switch to another
screenreader. If jaws stopped doing something I rely on on daily bases and
if it made certain takss difficult or impossible, then I'd do it, but as
things stand now I just don't see a point of learning another screenreader
and more to the point paying for it, yes I do know that WE has a payment
scheme, but again, to me, there's no point of switching, not because i'm
afraid of the change or because it'd be difficult to learn it, but simply
because I don't have a reason.

As for jaws 8 I don't have probelms with it at all, only 2 things that annoy
me, well actually 3:
1. Why the hell did they change the key combination for instant messeging
alerts...ctrl+scrole lock+f 12, kinda dumb key combo if you ask me and I
simply don't know or see a reason or need to change it. The old one doesn't
coinside with anything, as far as I know.
2. When in say all jaws doesn't automaticly read windows live messenger
alerts like it used to do. I understand that some people might not like
their reading to be interupted by telling them every 2 minutes who signed
in, but there is an option to disable the  announcements, so if that's the
case and if that's a feature I think it's unneceserry.
3. The paypal problem I reported last week with 7.1 still exists with 8.
Interestingly enough and I forgot to mention this last week, all the other
combo boxes on that page work fine. The only one that doesn't work is the
box which contains list of people you previously made a payment to, however
the other boxes where you need to choos a currency and I think there is
another one, can't remember what it is, that works absolutely fine.
Vanja
http://www.sudar.co.uk
MSN messenger: sudar23@xxxxxxxxxxx
AIM: vanja121