[access-uk] Re: Itunes: Why do we keep on paying and paying?

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:44:07 +0100

Ultimately one may baulk at the price of extra support for Apple iTunes,
however this support has been madea availeble at some effort which needs to
be recouped.   Having made that support available the debate should go
forward to how this support could be made available at lower cost.  In this
case the developers of the original software have to be made aware just as
on the web that they need to make some effort with their software (see below
for one method).  With the ever increasing diversity and rate of the
development of new applications it's more than a small access technology
industry can cope with on it's own.  That is why third party developers come
in and try to paper over the cracks, and may not be able to do so as cheaply
as some users would want.

To argue the specific case, I would be inclined to believe that Apple see
their iTunes software as an integral part of their music download service,
yes it is software but it's how you acccess their service.  I am not aware
of the specific legalities here regarding DDA but some exploration of this
theme may be useful here at a European level.

Ultimately Apple could be accused of not doing a bit of joined up thinking,
given their efforts to regain a hold on accessbility with the availability
of VoiceOver screen reader featured i the latest relase of their O/S
(codenamed Tiger).  However such events aren't rare and Microsoft equally
have been caught napping.

Use your registration card or registration info as a means of inserting the
comments you want to make about how to improve their product, mention the
accessibility issues of their software.  Whilst often one get's the feeling
that they aren't listening to you, sometimes they will do.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support