[access-uk] Re: Itunes: Why do we keep on paying and paying?

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:47:27 +0100

Well MalMel, and everyone contributing to this thread, I do feel that in this
instance at least, its the developers of the Itunes software who should be
incorporating our needs within their programming techniques.  Although someone
mor knowledgeable than I may step in and tell me where I'm wrong, I do think it
is more than possible to include our needs as screen reader users into an
aesthetically pleasing interface.  I do not see where the state, or larger
units of organisation such as the EU, should step in and simply pick up the tab
here for this thoughtless, and needless shortcoming.

Where Governments do have a role is, maybe, in the partial subsidy of access
tech itself - standard computers - to put people, irrespective of income, in a
position to acquire the necessary access bridge, be it software or hardware, to
make access possible at all.  This should be done in such a way as to maximise
choice and meet the needs of the user, without any undue bias towards
particular products, even if they are often touted as the 'industry leader' or
whatever.  Governments and international organisations should have a role in
obliging software vendors and the like to incorporate our needs into their
design process too.

I think too that access tech should more and more be tailored to the
individuals needs and preferences, rather than being determined by the needs of
particular situations, such as work, or education.  IT technology is
increasingly forcing itself into everyday life, so a statutary framework to
ensure access to personal devices, and ATMs, to mention but two areas, should
be accessable in their design from the outset.

Coming back to Itunes and Ipods, for this is what the thread has been about
hitherto, one could argue that these aren't 'essentials' or at least, that
there are good alternatives.  Some of the alternatives are just as fashion
concious as Apple, but haven't earned the uncritical acclaim that Apple has.

Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx