[access-uk] Re: Information about Tiscali broadband, please

Hello John

I have been with Tiscali for some time now, first with dial-up, then 2MB
broadband with free weekend UK and international calls, and now with up to
8MB broadband, free line rental and any time free UK and international
calls.

The price you mention, £14.99 per month, was what I was paying for 2MB
broadband with free weekend calls.  I now pay £19.99 per month for my
current package.  However, they now seem to be offering free line rental,
2MB broadband and free weekend calls for £14.99 with a discount for the
first three months.

I will try to answer your questions, but my experience may differ from
yours, depending on where you live and what services you can receive.

 When I was on 2MB broadband I did test the speed, but I'm afraid I can't
remember where I found the testing software on the web.  Anyway, it seemed
ok, and the speed Tiscali reported when I went online was usually 2.3MB.
With my current package the speed reported is usually something like 6.2MB.

I have never had to use the technical support line, so can't report on it's
efficiency.  I have heard that others have not found it that good, but this
is true of many ISP's.

When I upgraded from dial-up to broadband, and then to the higher speed
broadband, it took no more than two weeks to set up or upgrade.  Everything
went smoothly and there were no problems.

Tiscali offers unlimited broadband use, but there is a fair usage policy
which applies to people who download a lot of files, pictures, etc.  From
what I have read on their site, this applies during the evenings when most
home users are online.  If you don't download this kind of stuff you should
have no problems.  I have never been kicked off, and I do listen to quite a
lot of internet radio and also stream audio books.

Apparently the 195 directory enquiries service is still free according to
the details on their site.  If you are leaving BT completely, I don't know
whether you will need to register on 195 again when the switch to Tiscali is
complete.

The free phone calls you get are to UK numbers starting with 01 or 02, and
international calls are to Tiscali's top ten countries, so you will need to
find out which these are if you make international calls, which I don't, so
I don't know which countries they are.  Calls to mobiles, premium rate and
other numbers not starting with 01 or 02 will attract charges.

Their website is huge, and I find it rather difficult to get to where I want
to go, but I don't use it much.  I do check my bill online, as they don't
send out print statements.  I don't use their e-mail service as I prefer
Outlook and find e-mail on the web difficult to access.  This afternoon, in
response to your message, I have been looking around to find some of the
information you need, and it took me quite a while to find the bit about
directory enquiries.  However, I know you are probably more of an expert
than I am, so you might find their site good.  Like many other
organisations, Tiscali seem to want to give us everything under one roof, so
the site is cluttered with news, entertainment, shopping, competitions, etc,
and you can even get TV online.

A while ago there was a problem with outgoing e-mail.  Tiscali users could
receive incoming mail from other providers, but something went wrong when it
came to us sending messages out.  This was sorted out, of course, and now
all is well, but I thought I should report it for the sake of balance.

I have had the occasional problem getting online, but again this has been
universal to all Tiscali users, and has normally only lasted a short time.
I find that over the time I have been with them problems have been rare.

On the whole I have been very satisfied with Tiscali.  The service seems to
work well, and there is a link on their site called service status where you
can find out if there are any technical problems (if you can find the link)!

I use JAWS, and quick keys are a great help getting around the site.
Tiscali do provide access keys, but I never use them as they conflict with
JAWS and other commands.

I think all service providers have problems from time to time, but I would
certainly be happy to recommend Tiscali to anyone.  If you do decide to go
ahead, I hope everything goes smoothly.  Of course, you may need to get a
MAC code from your present provider, which I gather often used to be a
problem, but I think there are new regulations which compel providers to
give these codes on request.  I didn't need to do this, so I hope it doesn't
cause you trouble.

When I first joined Tiscali's dial-up service I had sighted help setting up.
A friend supplied me with a Tiscali CD, and there is a code on the package
that you need to enter, so you might find sighted help useful.  Tiscali will
send you a modem, CD, and connectors to plug into your phone socket.  The
modem is free, but I think there may be a connection fee of about £30.  A
twelve month contract does apply.

I hope this has helped, but if you need any further help please let me know.

Wendy