[access-uk] Re: In Touch: Why do we pay so much

  • From: "Barry" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:12:48 +0100

Hi Colin
Could it be that demand has risen and the manufacturers are having to expand to
keep up with demand?  Also, if we, as the end users, need something then we
accept that we have to pay the price that is stipulated.  Within reason, the
manufacturers could charge what they want because the users need the product.
I know that there are laws to stop manufacturers getting together and
artificially setting an inflated price.  How rigid are these laws and how
effective? If the law allows for a 5%leeway then the manufacturers would be
foolish not to take it to that limit.

I'm not saying that this is the case with all; It may not be the case with any
but the most ruthless.  I can't believe that it never happens, though.

I wonder when it was that I became so cynical.  Perhaps it was when I found out
that Santa wasn't real, or when I got screwed by the hospital that left me
blind.

Regards

Barry