[access-uk] Re: In Touch: Why do we pay so much

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:47:07 +0100

I hope some will read what follows, as I initiated this thread on Tuesday. I
posted most of what appears in this message a couple of days back, and
anticipated then, as you will see, that the thread was running its course.
Nonetheless, although the discussion has bean circular at times, some of the
facts behind what goes on in this small market have been worth airing;  at
least, I think they have.  I didn't see my post on the list, so maybe it
fell fowl of the file length for the list.

I am glad that Colin's firm has tried to provide affordable alternatives in
the CCTV field, and I for one will be using my consumer choice in most
likely buying one of his products, rather than the ghastly overpriced
offerings of some of his competitors.  And in many ways, my message is about
consumer choice, which aught not to be thwarted by unprincipled
protectionism, if that's what's going on.

Probably Adrian Rowe is right that nothing, or next to nothing can be done.
Nonetheless, it would be intriguing if some disability activists were to
mount a public protest at the rather cosy jamborees we've become so used to.
Just do not call on me to join in:  I simply do not have the stomach for
that sort of thing.  So, without more ado, here's my original message.

Well folks, this thread seems to be fading to a close, and let's face it,
we've been here many, many times before.  I am glad we have had some candid
and informative, and well reasoned contributions on pricing of access
software and hardware.

Seems to me that, it always comes down to market forces, or who can dominate
or work the market to their advantage.  My fault is maybe to forget that
business has never, necessarily, been linked to integrity fairness or any
finer feelings, although in some instances traders may be disposed by
inclination to be more or less 'fair' according to their lights, and how
much the imperative of staying in business will allow.

In closing, I would only suggest that we all ask ourselves:  as desirable as
this bit of gear is, am I prepared to go along with the asking price?  Is
there an alternative that may not do all we would like, but nonetheless is
more affordable and comes close to what we desire.  Maybe too that the
competitor will improve their offering in due course. That's just good
consumer common sense.  So I say, do not let PDI or whoever get away with it
if you can help it.  Without suggesting we should cut off our noses to spite
our faces, I'd suggest taking this course, even if it is the Government or
some trust footing the bill.

Ray.