[access-uk] Re: Image for Windows

  • From: "john coley" <johncoley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 15:05:33 +0100

Hi Keith, I shouldn't think that would be possible, would it? I can't see how. It surely would only be relevant to a linux system. I have just emailed Terabyte Unlimited again, since, judging from their reference to Linux they misunderstood what I was asking them. As you haven't come across Image For Windows before I'll explain what is currently possible using it for a blind user. It will do either full or partial backups, which can either be saved to DVD or to another drive. If saving to DVD there is no problem for a blind user, as it's just a matter of booting with the DVD. The problem arises if the image is saved to another drive. Restoring an image saved to another drive involves making an Image For Dos recovery CD and booting with it. The programme interface then opens and it needs to be told where the image is, and where to restore it to. Since we have no speech feedback in a pre windows environment it isn't possible to enter the information. One of the restore options in Image For Windows is Restore Automatic. This however only works when restoring to drives other than C, since the C drive is in use and therefore locked. I have suggested to Terabyte that it would be useful to people in our situation if it were possible for Image For Windows to reboot the system once the required information has been entered and restore an image to the C partition. The answer to your question is that yes, it's easy to back up to DVD, as long as you're happy doing that. It just isn't as yet possible for us to restore images saved to another drive.

                   John.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Barrett" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>