[access-uk] Re: IP Address

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:38:16 +0100

Hi Justin,

No, you definitely do NOT always necessarily have the same IP address,
unless you have specifically requested one through your ISP.

To all intents and purposes, you really only need a static IP address in
specific circumstances.  For example, if you are planning to have a web
page which is based on your own PC.  In this case for example, without
actually registering your IP address, people could get through to your
web page by looking for perhaps http:// followed by your IP address.

Some ISPs will give you a fixed IP address, which is just like a
telephone number.  The cost varies from nil upwards, depending on their
policy.

To try and expand a little further, when you get a fixed IP address, it
is usually a series of four groups of up to three digit numbers,
separated by a decimal point. As in ###.###.###.###

When you look up a web page like www.techno-vision.co.uk, a Domain Name
Service (DNS) looks up the web page name, much as we would do a
telephone book, and finds out what the IP address is.

However, if you simply look up a number, you will get through, even if
you do not know who you are calling.

This is a very basic interpretation, but hopefully explains the
principal.

George.

=0AThis Message has been scanned for viruses by McAfee Groupshield.