[access-uk] Re: IE 9 problem

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:31:08 +0100

On 18 April 2011 09:56, George Bell <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why do Microsoft insist on such major changes in terms of appearance
> for example. &nbsp;For example, Favourites is now a stupid start top right
> which took me a while to find. &nbsp;And now of course the list comes up on
> the right of the screen and not the left.

So you just go to "view > toolbars > menu bar" and the menu is back.
Also, most VI users I've worked with tend to use keyboard shortcuts,
and alt-a brings up the bookmarks bar, as before, in the same place.

> They did the same with Office 2007

Definitely agree - I can't stand the office ribbon, but IE9 doesn't have that.

> Also, all too many web sites are not really IE9 ready. &nbsp;However, at
> least what I call "simple" sites are less of a problem, but
> nevertheless some I need to use, like my for Mio/Navman GPS, are
> appauling on IE9.

I assume you mean http://eu.mio.com/en_gb/ - I can't find any problem with it.

The HTML and CSS specifications which IE now complies with have been
around since 2002 - if people are writing poor websites, that's
entirely the fault of the website not the browser.
There's no such things as "IE9 ready" - websites should be designed to
standards, not browsers.

> To be blunt, my own view is that IE9 sucks.

Thank goodness for the internet you're not a designer! :)