[access-uk] Re: How accessible ar I phones?

  • From: "James & Nash" <james.austin1984@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 19:15:50 +0100

Hi Hussein

> On 3 Apr 2010, at 17:01, Hussein Patwa wrote:
>
>> what do you think of the move now by developers to not go through
>> the Apple Store for ap marketing due to their tightened quality control
>> measures?  I've heard from quite a few dev's who've said they are basically
>> going to go open market with their apps and damn the Apple store.  Obviously
>> whereas this is good for consumer choice, it'll have a definite impact on
>> accessibility as it is no longer a mandatory criteria for app certification
>> (loosely speaking).

I think that the developers are doing what they think is right. I am not sure
that it will have a detrimental impact on accessibility though, as the great
majority of developers - at least in my experience, are very receptive to
requests for accessibility. I think though that it may hurt Apple themselves,
although their desire for consistency  and exactness is commendable, they may
have shot themselves in the foot by trying to exercise such tight controls over
their developers.

>> 2.  Regarding the iPhone 4.0, you might want to look into the iPhone HD
>> which Apple are rumoured to be bringing out in May/June.  Also, firmware
>> updates for the current iPhone series.  Personally I hope it's sooner rather
>> than later so we can at least get the Jailbreak fix the mods have been
>> sitting on since 3.13 firmware was released.

I am awaiting with interest Apple's 4.0 release. As i said, I do not have an
IPhone yet, and I'm not sure that I will, although the prospect of in-built
accessibility is appealing. Also, as a long-time Mac user, i already have some
experience with Apple's approach and so am not in the same position that many
other Blind users who are full-time Windows users may be. The continued
misrepresentation of Apple's approach by many key  Blindness organizations is
concerning, as there is a genuine apprehension - even dislike and distrust of
Apple's products - in fact, anything that does not carry the  Windows and
Windows Access solutions stamp of approval. Voice Over is not perfect, but the
IPhone has opened up the possibility for many Blind users who would otherwise
not have looked twice at Apple to explore  the accessibility that they have
introduced.

>> 3. Is there any substance to the rumour that v4 firmware will bring
>> multi-tasking to the whole range of compatible devices?

I am not sure about this, because as others have said, for good or bad, Apple
are very secretive about their innovations. I will continue to look and report
back to the list. But I would not be surprised if it was coming.

TC
James, Lyn, Nash & Twinny