[access-uk] Re: Home network problem

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:59:57 -0000

Hi Clive,

XP Professional can be a tricky animal to work with.

Have you set up any "Shares" on it?  (We can come back to
that later if not)

You may find that "Workgroup" is a Workgroup name which is
not allowed in XP Professional, since it is a keyword.

If the following doesn't work, the following will prove it.

To change the network name on the Pro system, right click on
My Computer, and select Properties.

In the System Properties dialog that comes up, navigate to
the "Computer Name" tab.

Click on the "Change" button, which is against, "To rename
this computer or join a Domain, click Change."

Make sure the "Workgroup" radio button is checked, and in
the text box associated with it, type in "WORKGROUP". (No
quotes)

Click on O.K., and OK again at the System Properties dialog.

You will then have to re-start the system.

If you find the name has not "stuck", then I suggest you try
another name such as perhaps "PALLETTHOME".

If that sticks, re-install the network on the two other
machines, this time using the new name.

George.