[access-uk] Help Urgently Needed Re A Formatting Issue

  • From: James Scholes <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <bct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 18:21:42 +0000

Hi all,
OK, serious problem here. This machine badly needs to be reformatted, so I sat
down last night, retrieved my hardware drivers using DriverMax, and then made
an unattended install of XP. I burned it to a disk, and then restarted the
machine with the disk in the drive. I received the message:
'Press any key to boot from CD'
I pressed enter, and the XP install screen appeared, saying it was copying
files and such. Then, I was presented with the list of available partitions.
However, all the items in the partition list simply read:
'Unknown Disk - There is no disk in the drive'.
After about 15 seconds, the partition list disappeared, and I received an error
message, 'Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer, if you
haven't seen this error before, blah blah blah.'
So, I restarted, and booted from the CD again, but had the same problem. I
really need to format this machine soon, and can't think why it won't let me
choose a partition, or why it isn't even recognising any drives. Thanks for any
help on this matter, as I really need this to be sorted soon!

--Check out my radio and TeamTalk server! http://www.jls-radio.com
--
James Scholes

E-mail: james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MSN/Windows Live Messenger: jamesscholes@xxxxxxx
AIM: JamesScholes000
Skype: james.scholes
Website: http://www.jamesscholes.com
Blog: http://www.jamesscholes.com/blog
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jamesscholes
Find me on Facebook! Username: jamesscholes
Link to Facebook profile:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1375965156&hiq=jamesscholes
Last.FM Profile: http://www.last.fm/user/jamesscholes000
Message sent at 06:15:29 PM GMT on Saturday, January 17, 2009