[access-uk] Re: HOW TO RECOVER MASTER BOOT RECORD ON EXTERNAL HARD DISC

  • From: Doris and Chris <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:29:09 -0400

Several years ago, i used a program called "Restorer 2000 to restore an external hd that had gone south and that my computer did not recognize as a formatted drive anymore.

I do not know if this program is still availble or where to find it. A friend helped me with it at the time. it was fairly speech friendly.

If you want to use the method Mr.Barry suggested, you could just put the drive into a box as a secondary disk - provided the mbrfix command works on drives other than the one holding the operating system.

hth

Doris

At 05:51 PM 3/30/2010 +0100, you wrote:
Hi there Barry

I have just had a look at the link that you gave and upon reading the article, I can say that it isn't windows itself that is the problem but the reading of an external drive that is.

I wonder, could I trouble you once more? Windows will read the drive but shows it as raw format and not NTFS as it was before. How can I resolve this, if it is possible that is?

Thanks a lot for your advice and hel thus far.

Kulvinder Singh Bhogal
Email: kbhogal1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Messenger: Kulvinder@xxxxxxxx
Skypename: bobba2006