[access-uk] Re: HARRY POTTER AND ACCESS TO BOOKS

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:29:53 +0100

James, I've little trouble at all with what you are saying below,
although it could be argued that selling the latest Harry Potter at
the price they are doing is, in fact, a considerable subsidy, given
the production costs.  In this case though, they didn't actually
record the book;  its just the standard Stephen Fry audio book, but
daisified.  My main point is that only a charity can in fact sell
unabridged audio books at a near level playing field sort of price.

Mind you, an off-the -record comment I heard about the audio book
industry was that it needs a damned good shake up.  It seems it's very
happy with the small, but lucrative library and education and other
deep pocket buyers, and isn't interested in becoming a mass market
industry.  Hmmm!  Interesting.

As for blind people wanting something for nothing or at a much lower
price, well, I think a lot actually do want that.  Whether that is
more characteristic of the blind community I couldn't ossibly say, now
could I?  Aren't many who won't scough down a free lunch!

Cheers,

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx