[access-uk] Google difficulties - again

  • From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:43:15 +0100

Hi. I'm still having significant difficulties using Google.

I'm using jaws 12, IE7 and google.co.uk

This morning when I get to the page it says "page has no links" and
there is nothing to arrow up and down to read through.  This happens
intermittantly throughout my work day.

For some reason, here at work on the above setup, I don't seem to get
the page which says screenreader users click here to turn off google
instant. I don't believe I'm getting to a page with instant on it.

Sometimes I do happily get to the google home page, I type something in
the search box and then I have to wait and wait as jaws counts down 2%,
3%, 7%, 9%, etc.

It's a wholly unsatisfactory experience that will ultimately send me to
another search engine.

It's OK about 60% of the time.

I don't want to use the accessible google as that filters pages
according to their accessibility as far as I'm aware. And I don't want
some magic digital robot telling me I should only read pages that pass a
certain level of HTML compliance. That would give me one heck of a
skewed view of  the worldwide web.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks

Damon Rose
BBC News

Tel: 020 8576 1801  (x02-61801)
email: damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx
Twitter:  @damonrose

Do you read the Ouch! blog or listen to our podcast?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on
it and notify the sender immediately.