[access-uk] GWConnect Version 2.1 is Released

  • From: Colin Howard <colin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:44:10 +0100

Greetings,

Note I have included the initial post along with one reply from Steve
Matzura who brings up a point worth bearing in mind.  so far as I am aware,
he uses Jaws and windows7 64-bit. I think he also has window-eyes and NVDA
but am unaware how much he uses these.

For both AVIOS and NTE committees to whom I am copying this maybe it is the
way we ought to consider going for our conference calls?

From: Steve Pattison <srp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 06:57:03 +1000

GWConnect version 2.1 is now available and can be downloaded from

http://tinyurl.com/7hg2ut7

For anyone unfamiliar with GWConnect it is a program designed to make
Skype more accessible to screen reader users.

The changes in this version are below:

The SkypeKit runtime has been updated to version 4.3.1.
The initial startup time of GWConnect has been significantly decreased.
The update process has been greatly streamlined. Future GWConnect
releases will be
able to be downloaded and installed directly from the program's "Check
for Updates"
option in the Help menu.
Compatibility with Windows 8 has been improved.
The Control-Shift-F10 hotkey has been added to allow you to review the
ten most recently
spoken messages.
The format of final call durations is now reported more sanely; e.g. if
a call lasted
for only 5 minutes, you will see its duration as "05:00" instead of
"00:05:00."
There were some circumstances where some GWConnect windows were
unfocusable if their
positions were saved after they had been hidden. This has been fixed.
If GWConnect detects a corrupted settings file, it will now
automatically reset itself
with no need of user intervention.
Users of non-Latin languages reported errors resulting from text
conversations. All
such errors have been corrected.
If you set your mood text to something which contained Arabic
characters, the Skype
Kit would sometimes throw an error. This has been fixed.
In previous versions of GWConnect, the "Add" or "Edit" custom contact
group dialogs
would always display in English even if GWConnect was set to run in
another language.
This has been fixed.
There were cases where GWConnect would occasionally not allow you to
place a second
call with someone with whom you previously spoke without first
restarting the program.
This has been fixed.
The "drop from conference" menu item has been added to the right-click
context menu
in GWConnect's main window. In addition, it will only become enabled if
a conference
is active, the logged in user is its host, and the selected contact is a
participant
who can be dropped. While the underlying behavior of this feature has
not changed,
the user interface will more accurately reflect when participants can be
dropped.
There was an issue where users of Latin-based languages would sometimes
have their
default country codes set to Afghanistan. This has been fixed.
The conversations window accessible from the Skype menu now displays
conferences
in addition to text chats in reverse-chronological order and also shows
the date
and time each was last updated.
Pressing the spacebar on the Enable checkbox inside the hotkeys section
of the Options
dialog did not change the state of the checkbox. This has been fixed.
If a conference was active, you called someone to add, but he/she denied
the request,
subsequent attempts to invite the person would sometimes fail. This has
been fixed.
The text chat window user interface has been expanded to include a list
of all conversation
participants, a context menu for performing predefined actions on the
selected contact,
and a button to allow you to leave a conference (when appropriate).
When clicking the "Call" button inside a conversation window, GWConnect
will now
rejoin a live voice session if one is active. Note that this only works
for conferences
created by GWConnect or Skype 4 and newer.
The "Send Files" button inside text chat windows will now remain active
for conferences.
Previously it was only possible to send files to one person at a time.
Using the message review hotkeys F1 through F10 inside a text chat
window sometimes
resulted in incomplete feedback. This has been fixed.
Attempting to manipulate a conversation window associated with a
voice-only conference
resulted in the inability to focus the text input area. This has been fixed.
The title bars of conversation windows would not properly update if
either a contact's
status changed (in the case of one-on-one calls) or if someone joined or
left a conference.
This has been fixed.
Some voicemail-related errors have been corrected.
It is now possible to send files to multiple contacts simultaneously
from within
the main GWConnect window.
If the "contact online" sound is defined, it will only play when a
contact's availability
changes from offline to online.
An option to automatically switch GWConnect's input and output devices
to USB headsets
has been added to the Devices tab of the Options dialog.
An option to specify whether rejected calls are sent to voicemail has
been added
to the General tab of the Options dialog. For this to have any
noticeable effect,
voicemail must already be enabled for the logged in user.
When your status is set to "do not disturb," GWConnect will
automatically reject
any incoming calls, voice alerts will cease, and any sound playback will
be suspended.
Setting your availability to anything else will return GWConnect to its
normal behavior.
Instead of automatically retiring from conferences when the "Hang Up"
command is
invoked, GWConnect will merely leave any active live session. This
permits the user
to rejoin the conference later.
If voicemail was active for the signed in account and GWConnect was set
to reject
a call after a specified period, the call was rejected but the incoming
call window
would sometimes remain displayed. This has been fixed.
Instead of displaying a generic error message, launching a second copy
of GWConnect
will now reactivate any previously open copy.
If GWConnect is running in sponsored mode, Alt-Shift-F10 (or the
respective menu
item in the Help menu) will open the most recently spoken advertiser's
home page
in the default web browser.
A link to go to the GWConnect advertising page has been added to the
Help menu.
The welcome and file transfer dialogs have been made taller.
Support for Bulgarian, Croatian, Egyptian Arabic, Polish, and Slovak
languages has
been added.
Additional minor bugs have been corrected.

From: Steve Matzura <number6@nois
ynotes.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 22:27:44 -0400

Good news. Now if GW Connect would only stop forcing my sound card to
the microphone setting, I'd like it a lot more. I have to keep the
sound card's recording properties window open every time I use GW
Connect because every time a call comes in, even after I've switched
it once, GWC will switch it back! Got to submit a tech note about that
to GWM.

Colin Howard, living near Southampton in Southern
England.