[access-uk] Re: GPS

  • From: Kevin Cussick <the.big.white.shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 12:12:10 +0100

Hi, what receiver do you have? I just bought the bad elf one, it does not seem to have an on off switch and has the 30 pin connector think I will have to send it back to Amazon. I have a touch 5th gen thanks for your help.

On 29/07/2014 12:05, Jackie Brown wrote:
Hi John

I do have an external receiver, I never thought of taking it, I will next
time.  You do have some swiping to do with Navigator, but not much if you
just let it talk away to you.  I certainly didn't think the BEM would be as
good as it turned out to be, certainly a good buy to boost sound and leave
your hands and ears free!!

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Emails: jackieannbrown62@xxxxxxxxx
thebrownsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Twitter: @thebrownsplace
Skype: Thejackmate
From: Jackie Brown <jackieannbrown62@xxxxxxxxx>
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, 29 July 2014 11.30 am
Subject: [access-uk] GPS

I promised some thoughts on various GPS apps when I returned from Scotland
where I had an opportunity to travel about a little.

My own preference is for the RNIB Navigator app, followed by Trekker
Breeze.
I used the Navigator on my iPhone 5 paired with the much discussed BEM
wireless wrist band.

I used bus and train, and Navigator was pretty good.  I didn't put routes
in
for GPS to follow specifically, I simply opened the app and let it flow,
so
to speak.  I received a lot of information about my surroundings, and
found
it really useful on the train when it even announced the platform we were
on.  North of Perth, however, there was much less information available,
and
behaved much as it does where I live.  What I discovered was that when
GPRS
appeared on the status bar, I got next to no info.  But when 3G came up,
things were much much better.

The down side of Navigator is its hungry battery life.  If you go on a
journey of a couple of hours, then the Anker portable charger, which has
been discussed before, is really useful and frankly a necessity.

I am not a Blind Square person, it just didn't do it for me somehow.
While
it worked, I kept going back to Navigator for more route information.
Blind
Square was more for POI information to me.

I also didn't like Telorion GPS that much.  It knew where I was, and
perhaps
it would have been better if I had specified my start and destination
instructions.  But going in free mode, it just gave me postcodes and
street
names rather than saying what the numbers in a High Street were alluding
to.
I feel it needs quite a lot more work, but I am prepared to accept others
may disagree and maybe get more from it than I did.

I really like the BEM wireless wrist band, it gives more volume to the
iPhone without being intrusive, and is not uncomfortable to wear either.

Finally, if you have a Trekker Breeze, this is certainly useful though
bulky
and devoid of Bluetooth.  It gives a lot of "street with no name"
messages,
but it has a good battery life, and is largely straightforward to use.

These are just my own thoughts.