[access-uk] Fw: [danmail] Open platform buses - are they accessible to visually impaired people?

  • From: "Catherine Turner" <catherineturner2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-UK" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:18:02 +0100

Thought people here might have some comments about this for the relevant people... ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kirsten Hearn" <kirsten.hearn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: "Danmail" <danmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 5:26 PM
Subject: [danmail] Open platform buses - are they accessible to visually impaired people?

Hi all (especially Visually Impaired Londoners)

Boris Johnson (conservative mayoral candidate in London) wants to abolish
articulated buses (bendy buses) and bring back route masters.  He says he
wants a new design.  Either he wants a new and lethal open platform bus,
with no accessibility, or he needs to define what characteristics he'd like
to replicate other than those two in his mythical 'new' bus. If, for
example, it had lots of quick access, room for buggies and wheelchairs,
decent accessible seating, and an airy ambience, then it might look
like.......a bendy bus!  Boris pledges to withdraw these if he is elected)!

I'm checking out in an informal kind of way with Visually impaired folks
what they think of Boris Johnson's ideas for reinstating route masters in
London!  We are already consulting with disabled people generally but it
looks like Boris might use some wrong  info about access to open platform
buses and I'd like to disabuse him of this notion!

I'm doing this with my member of the board of Transport For London hat on.

We abolished route masters as they were inaccessible to about a quarter of
London's communities and also dangerous (a number of people were killed or
seriously   injured each year falling off them.  Since their demise,
fatalities and injuries of passengers on buses has fallen significantly.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of open platform buses?  Some
sighted non disabled people want open platforms so they can jump on and off
at will.  How many visually impaired people would find this desirable,
useful or safe?

Your views please?

Email me at TFL

kirstenhearn@xxxxxxxxxx

Please feel free to pass this  email onto your egroup networks.

Kirsten

Channel 4 News 03 Sep 2007

Boris Johnson today launched his campaign to become Mayor of London - with
a string of promises including a pledge to bring back traditional London
buses.

The Tory MP put crime, housing and transport at the top of his campaign
agenda, saying it was time for residents to be given a better deal.

He promised a return of "iconic" Route master buses, as well as stating a
commitment to Cross rail, making the congestion charge "fairer and more
flexible,"
and 24-hour policing.
Telegraph 4 September

Boris Johnson launched his campaign to be the Tories' candidate for Mayor of
London, warning that he reserved the right to make jokes but was "deadly
serious"
in his bid.

Mr Johnson, Conservative MP for Henley, targeted transport policy as he
seeks to prove his credentials for running the capital.

Among his pledges were promises to make the congestion charge "fairer and
more flexible", clear the way for the Cross rail train project and redesign
the
Route master buses that have fallen out of favour with current mayor Ken
Livingstone.

All emails are checked before they are sent on to the list. Please see the original "Welcome to the DAN Mailing list message" for further information. DAN mail list archives from 1 May 1999 are available at the Yahoo Group web site here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/danmail/messages . Free our people.
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
   Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: