[access-uk] Re: Fw: Sainsbury's to You

  • From: "Barry" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:13:46 +0100

The rhubarb was, I assume, on the print-out so would have been printed before
reaching any pickers.  To be classified as having learning difficulties a
person needs to have an IQ of less than 80.  George Bush is alleged to have an
IQ of 82 and does a damned sight more than pack shelves.  Nevertheless, an
adult with learning difficulties might have a mental age of a child but they
wouldn't be able to do the job of picking if they couldn't read the print out.
I'm sure I could tell what rhubarb was when I was a child old enough to read.
Finally, you would be surprised what people with learning difficulties are
capable of.  Once taught something, they are as capable as a *normal* person,
if not more so.
I thought one of the rules of this list was not to discriminate against anyone.
 It seems that this derogation of people with learning difficulties is getting
close to the knuckle.  Even though it has not been directed at an individual,
I'm sure list members would be up in arms if similar statements were made about
the VI as a group.

If learning difficulties had not been mentioned in the past, the logical
conclusion would have been computer error.

Barry H

Barry H