[access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:18:46 +0100

Alexander,

        If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would be interested to hear
how you get on. I've been in touch with Lloyds via email about this, but to
date only have confirmation that the system will not be used for logging
into an online bank account, only for making online transactions.

        While I'm writing this, something else occurs to me. If the bank is
happy to allow us to continue using our memorable information instead, how
will they make that work in practice?

        Will we enter our memorable information via the calculator keypad of
the device? If so, will we receive specifically configured devices? If not,
what's to stop anyone using their memorable information instead of the
random pin number?

        If we are supposed to enter our memorable information via the
website, what's to stop anyone else doing the same thing? Perhaps they will
issue us with specifically encoded debit/credit cards, but the response that
Barry had doesn't seem to suggest this. Equally, that would mean a major
overhaul of almost every e-commerce system used currently.

        It's possible I'm missing something in terms of the practical
implementation of this system, but it's got me stumped for the moment.

Regards,
Léonie.