[access-uk] Re: Fw: Response from Lloyds TSB re chip & pin at home

  • From: "Colin Fowler" <col.fowler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 11:17:36 +0100

Derek,

Further evidence of your ignorance...

Ask yourself why nobody is taking the bank to court? That is another
unfounded assumption, no one knows that that is not the case.
Ask yourself why  no organisation is taking the bank to court? The
Disability Discrimination Act [DDA] 2005 does not allow for an organisation
to bring a claim under discrimination or for a failure to comply with a duty
to make a reasonable adjustmentm, it is a piece of legislation for use by an
individual.

It  is because it's obvious  the bank would win. This is nonsense, there is
no case law to support that.
Why is it obvious?  Because the blind customer is not  being put
at  a disadvantage, and so far nobody has proven different. It has been
shown all the way throughout this thread that the consensus of opinion is
that the solution suggested by the banks is different to their proposals to
introduce ACD. You have never accepted the reason why the banks are
introducing ACD. May I suggest you concentrate your efforts on establishing
what the true reason behind the introduction of ACD is? I think you'll
discover, that it is because ACD in the banks opinion is more secure than
the present arrangement. The present arrangement that strangely enough you
and Steve are prepared to accept as a reasonable adjustment?

There is absolutely no corralation between face to face chip and pin in the
stores and the use of online transactions. Both chip and pin and chip and
signature use in stores has been proven to be flawed and susceptible to
fraud to a differing degree. Furthermore the option of allowing disabled
people to opt out of useing the PIN pad arrangement was more to do with a
'fit all' reasonable adjustment, and something that the banks were at first
wholly against.

I would say that the opt out exemption is better suited for those disabled
people, who, for reasons relating to dexterity, cognitive skill, and
learning disabilities, find it impossible to use the PIN pad, rather than
for those blind or visually impaired customers, who with a moments
familiarisation and guidance should be able to use the PIN Pad. Did you not
refer to useing a telephone as an analagy in your previous correspondence?

Once more, I'd suggest that this thread be laid to rest, you have your
intrenched opinions, regardless of common sense or the overwhelming facts
supported by others, and no one is expecting you to change.

Kind regards

Colin

Colin Fowler

Disability Consultant