[access-uk] Re: Fw: Google Reaching Out for Accessibility (EASI Podcast)

Isn't it nice to see a company doing something to help make computers
accessible.  Shame those at Microsoft with their vast wealth can't be
bothered doing the same.  Every time a new operating system comes out,
everyone has to start from scratch again.  Bill Gates seems more
interested in the rest of the world instead of looking after disabled
users of his software.  By now we should have a fully accessible
software package from Microsoft including screen reader and magnifier.
Instead we have to shell out a fortune to the likes of freedom
scientific and continue shelling out every time an upgrade is released.
Can you imagine how much it would cost if Microsoft applied the same
principle.  Websites are now expected to be accessible to screen readers
etc, but Microsoft sell an operating system which isn't fully
accessible!  I am sure we as vision impaired are not the only people who
would benefit from built in screen reading software.  How many users
would like to hear a letter read out while doing some other task.
The companies producing screen readers and magnification software are
doing their best and need to make money as well, but their products
could be incorporated into the standard package from Microsoft, which
would make it far cheaper and should someone require it, simply turn it
on.  Does anyone believe Microsoft could not afford to do such a thing,
I don't think so;.
=20
Dave Ankers