[access-uk] Re: Fw: Disabled People and Chip and Pin

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:44:25 +0100

Hi Trace
You  said:
"according to what I've heard shoulder surfing is a brilliant way
of getting your pin."

Yes and that's  a risk only for those that use the ATM so not a risk
for the chip and PIN  key pads in the shops!

You also  said:

 "also consider this, as you say, someone gets your details by opening your
card, imagine that they then intercept your pin number, they could do that
 but not necessarily intercept your signature as you wouldn't have
  signed the  card at that point."

 The PIN  is only of use  if the correct card is used..

If you knew my PIN  you  can't use it unless you also have my card!

However, if you opened my  post,  and there was my new card, you could
 use it, if it wasn't  a  chip and PIN card.

All you  would need to do is sign it (with my name) then in the shop,
sign  the  same way as you  signed the card.

So basically  a dishonest post man could only use a chip and PIN card
only if he stole both the  person's PIN, and their card.
But  the same dishonest postman  could use a chip  and signature card
easily
just by  stealing the new card.

Remember, new card has no signature, so when the thief signs that new card,
when the  thief signs again in the shops,  the card signature will obviously
match and they get away with it  until the card is  reported as stolen or
lost.
That is  one reason why chip  and PIN  has cut down on  fraud.

Regards,
Derek

e-mail: derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx