[access-uk] Re: Fw: Disabled People and Chip and Pin

  • From: "yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:41:23 +0100

Hi Ray, Firstly apologies for being rather defensive. You know how it goes you write an email and when you read it back later it comes across a lot harsher than was intended.

I agree that complete independence is difficult if not impossible, however I do think that the underlying point in the chip and pin machines discussion is that not enough forethought was taken in to their accessibility when they were being designed. I think we generally agree that more could have been done to make them easier to use, even if not incorporating speech.

My own preference however was for speech incorporation in both these machines and automatic ticket machines.as well. That in my opinion would have made them fully useable and accessible.

What we really need is a standard speech chip which would be incorporated in to all these types of equipment.

Just on the Braille menues point, only a small minority of us can read them and although I find them very useful good staff in this case is probably more useful. But staff get employed not because of their ability to read but their cheapness. And your right about Braille menues not being able to keep up with rapid changes. Perhaps another good use for the internet?

And finally I really can't understand why we're still experimenting with talking ATMs. Its another one of those examples where the states are way ahead of us.

Just to return to chip and pin I do prefer it to signatures. Fraud is decreased and it is less of a hastle. My concern is that its a relatively new product which has appeared when accessibility and inclusivity are supposed to be given increased priority and I don't see it happening.
Yusuf

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>