[access-uk] Re: Fw: Disabled People and Chip and Pin

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:42:41 +0100

I'll second Carol's thoughts by saying there's no shame in asking for
assistance wehn needed.  I do, because I have to.

I find that, wile the slot for the card is usually on the machine, that's not
always so.  In some situations the cashier has to swipe the card.  this in
itself means you are having to start to communicate with said cashier.  Whether
or not the card has to be swiped I simply ask to be told when the machine is
ready for me to key in.

Sure, some cashiers can be grumpy, but if you'd been on a conveyor belt cashout
for hours then maybe you'd be less than a smiling have a good day' person.  I
just accept this as a fact of life.

I'd only end by reiterating that I wish much of the campaigning effort had gone
into making the keypads more user friendly which would have benefited the
overwhelming majority of users.  True, the more complex needs of a small
minority do need addressing, but solutions here may well often lie outside of
what can be done through technology alone.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx