[access-uk] Re: Freeing up drive space

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:33:04 -0000

I hate giving a half baked answer, but I don't have access to an XP
system right now.

However, try to find out how much disk space is reserved for "Restore
Points" - 10% is the maximum, and if it's set to that, reduce it to
say 5%.

Actually look at the c:\windows\temp folder and see what is still in
it.  Disk clean up doesn't always empty it completely.  It's OK to
erase all, though you will get warned if there are files in use.

Do a general search for any files with a .tmp extension - as a general
rule, these can usually be deleted - again you will be warned if a
file is in use.

XP keeps all the update files, and they will be grouped together in
the c:\Windows folder - They begin $NtUninstallKB, a string of numbers
sometimes letters also, and end with a $.  Those can all be deleted.

Try that for starters.

George.