[access-uk] Re: For those using Gmail, I've cracked it!

  • From: "Christopher Hallsworth" <chrishallsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:07:48 +0100

Aww Douglas, not a problem! I discovered this purely by accident when I
changed the language to English (UK). The page layout altered, and, like
you, I could no longer change the settings within the basic view. So I
put it back and all was well again. Maybe one or both of us could
contact Google and comment about it. For those using Mozilla Firefox, if
you disable javascript from within tools, options, content, and you go
to the home page of your Gmail account, you'll first be told that you
can't access the standard view. Just ignore and click the first "click
here" link to switch to the basic view. Hope that helps.
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:59:24 +0100, "Douglas Harrison"
<harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Christopher - you are a genius!  I just tried it and it works!   I am
> guessing
> that when you start an account it is set at US English by default.  But
> when I
> started in April 2006 One of the first things I did was change it to
> English
> UK and for that reason have not been able to use Settings from Basic
> View.
>
> I  can now a bandon my search for a route to contact Googlmail Support.
> Incidentally I noticed in the Help files that if you are using a
> non-supported
> browser it automatically opens in Basic view anyway.   So I thought that
> surely the Settings dialogues must be accessible in Basic View otherwise
> such people would have no way of changing anything.
>
> Your "conversion" to Googlemail has benefited me personally as it has
> resulted in a solution to this long running mystery.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Douglas
>

> On 27 Jul 2007 at 0:55, Christopher Hallsworth wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > As the subject line says I've discovered why some of you can't access the
> > settings dialogue from within the basic HTML view. If you've set your
> > language to English (UK), you can't change the settings using the basic
> > HTML view. However, if you set the language to English (US), then you can.
> > Hope this helps!
> >

> --
>
> Douglas Harrison

Christopher Hallsworth
E-mail: chrishallsworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Skype name chrishallsworth7266
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx

Why not join the Blind Hobbyist mailing list! To subscribe, send a blank
message to blind-hobbyist-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx