[access-uk] Re: For David Wood: was: combi-boilers. longish reply

  • From: "David W Wood" <g3yxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 06:58:32 +0100

Hello John:

Assuming that the system is sealed, which is quite likely as you are
mentioning that you have a pressure gauge on the system, when the system is
cold, the pressure will be less than when it is hot as the water will expand
as it heats to, say, 60C.

In order to keep the pressure at a constant level (you mention a typical 1.5
bar) their needs to be scope for expansion to maintain that pressure.
This is achieved with a pressure vessel which is made of metal and typically
has a three quarter inch BSP female connector and is fitted onto either the
flow or return of the system which has a T connector onto which it fits.
In a typical 3 bedroom house, this would be about 6 inches in diameter, and
about 8 inches long.
Across its equator is a flexible membrane, and at the opposite end to its
BSP connection is a Schrader valve.
When the system is cold, a pump is applied to the valve to establish the 1.5
bar pressure.
As the system expands, the membrane is displaced thus increasing the volume
of the system, hence maintaining the chosen pressure.
Boyle's law:
Pressure times volume equals constant.

The size of this vessel is determined in proportion to the total of the
volume of the system.

Sorry for the mix of quoted units, to make it more correct, I should have
mentioned atmospheres in stead of bars, thus making the description totally
in imperial units!

Hth

David