[access-uk] Re: Financial assistance for school students.

  • From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <adrian.higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:57:49 +0100

Léonie:
Yes, interactive whiteboards (IWBs), are really just very large touch sensitive
panels coupled up with a computer and projector. The machine projects an image
on to the panel, the user interacts (touches, drags, writes) and this
interaction is communicated back to the computer which adjusts the projected
image accordingly. All very quickly so you can seamlessly drag items around on
the IWB with your finger or a stylus depending on the make and model you're
using.

Because the whole thing is powered by a standard machine, sometimes dedicated
but often just the teachers laptop it isn't all that difficult to hook up a
secondary means of accessing the IWBs content.  There are various ways of doing
this:
1. portable interactive panel - many of the big brands now offer a 2nd panel,
effectively a smaller IWB coupled to and displaying the same content as the
large one which can be located anywhere in the same room. Roughly the size of a
PC monitor this is a good way to facilitate access for anyone who can't get to
or see the large display, the downside at present is that the 15 inch versions
cost about the same as the 50 inch models.
2.  attaching a second monitor to the hoste machine - simply add a 2nd monitor
located on a desk where anyone needing to be close to it can sit, limitation
obviously being that it is only a monitor so you can't interact with it, and
you're location is constrained by the cable length and routing although
wireless or access via the school network might also be possible. Advantage is
the low cost, a monitor splitter cable being about £15.
Have a look at:
http://inclusion.ngfl.gov.uk/index.php?incQATopicId=26&i=235&p=17
for a bit more and links to our VI-forum archives where you can search for more
or join the forum to discuss.

An alternative to this is a distance view cctv which would allow the pupil to
focus on the IWB from their desk, there's a few of these on the market now
including the magnilink range and models and one I think from humanware, and
probably others that I don't know of too. These can be standalone units or a
small stand mounted camera which connect via USB, and is powered and controlled
from a laptop or other computer.  Very portable, easy to fit in the case with a
laptop. Downsides are again price, about £2k ish, and in order to work well the
camera needs to be quite stable which means being mounted on a robust stand.
Robust amounts to weighty so packing the whole thing in the same bag as a
laptop about doubles the weight and isn't something you'd want a child to be
carrying around for any length of time. Or yourself for that matter.

Again AbilityNet are an excellent first port of call for specific advice - I
can find a named contact for you if you're client has trouble finding the right
person.

Adrian Higginbotham,
Manager, Leading edge research
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Becta switchboard 02476-416994
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ