[access-uk] FYI, Jaws and files with DRM error

  • From: "Amro Bilal" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 15:06:58 +0100

Hello all,

You may have seen my earlier messages about not being able to play BBC
downloaded programs using Windows 7 Pro 32bit, WMP 12 and Jaws 12. The vague
error I got was "Windows Media Player C00D11B1 Windows Media Player can't
play the file.". A kind list member advised me that there is a precedent of
Jaws causing this particular problem and the     solution is to unload Jaws
before playing DRM files. Yes, I've just  tried this and BBC programs played
no problems. Further more, if you load Jaws while you are playing a media
file with DRM , WMP crashes.

Earlier, I tried all sort of fixes I could think of and those I've come
across including manually resetting the DRM but none had worked. So it
appears that it is most certainly a JFW issue. Thanks a punch FS.

I will probably report this to FS sometime but meanwhile if anyone has any
more information about this error feel free to chip in.

Hope you will find this info of some use.

Best,
Amro