[access-uk] FW: Window-Eyes 5.0 official release date announced

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:19:02 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Deckers [mailto:erik@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 12 January 2005 22:21
To: gw-dealers@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Window-Eyes 5.0 official release date announced

(FORT WAYNE, IN) - GW Micro today announced they will release Window-Eyes
version 5.0 on January 19, 2005. The new version rounds out its support of
Microsoft Word, creating the most thorough and stable support for the
popular word processing program. Window-Eyes 5.0 also offers a complete
color dictionary, and a lease-to-own program that allows a user to buy a
full copy of Window-Eyes over several months.

"This is a major breakthrough," said Dan Weirich, Vice President of
Marketing and Engineering. "With this new version, Window-Eyes offers 100%
text accuracy, 100% of the time, which is a first for any screen reader."

The new version supports every text feature within Microsoft Word, including
reading tables, columns, and fields. Users can find and fix spelling and
grammar errors on the fly. Users can also take advantage of the enhanced
support with features like renaming form fields, reading comments, and
tracking changes. Other screen readers have often ignored columns or
required special efforts or scripts to rename form fields.

"We have also increased our support for Word in Microsoft Works," said Doug
Geoffray, Vice President of Product Development and Support. "And we've
beefed up our support for the Mozilla web browser. A lot of Window-Eyes
users are switching to Mozilla, so we need to keep up with their web
habits."

In the lease-to-own program, a customer can purchase a 30-day evaluation
copy of Window-Eyes for $50. They then purchase a 30-day authorization for
$100 per month for nine or eleven months, based on the upgrade plan they
choose. If the customer misses a payment, the copy changes to a 30-minute
demo of the software. At the end of the payment schedule, the customer will
receive a full-working version of Window-Eyes.

The Complete Color Dictionary is also a first in the screen reader industry.
Rather than using complex color descriptions, such as "r204, g51, b51,"
Window-Eyes will now describe "a shade of firebrick red," if an exact match
cannot be found in the dictionary.

"We're continuing to support the software we first started as well. We were
the first to support Adobe PDFs, Macromedia Flash, and PeopleSoft
applications. We've also offered Citrix and Remote Desktop access for the
past 15 months, and continue to do so at no additional cost to our
customers," said Geoffray.

GW Micro will provide downloadable upgrades on their website on January
19th, and will begin shipping new versions and upgrades on CD on or before
January 28th. The company is also accepting pre-orders before the final
release date.

For more information or a Window-Eyes press kit, contact:

Erik Deckers
GW Micro, Inc.
725 Airport North Office Park
Fort Wayne, IN  46825